It was a busy Saturday morning. Kelly ran into the treatment room carrying the tiny West Highland White Terrier puppy, the puppy that her Mom had recently adopted after her first Westie had died. Puppy was having trouble staying awake.
Puppy had ingested at least ten and - later we found out - probably closer to twenty or twenty-five ibuprofen.
We administered a medication to cause Puppy to vomit, but she lost consciousness before she was able to vomit.
Stephanie asked me if I thought she would live. "No," I said, and started to cry.
I called ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and reached Dr. Helen Myers. Thank you Dr. Myers! She advised us on medications and supportive care and recommended we get her to the nearest 24 hour care facility as soon as possible. I asked Dr. Myers if she thought Puppy would live. "This is bad," she said.
My next calls were to Russ and his Mom to ask them to begin praying.
I then called VCA Midwest Vet to let them know Puppy was coming. Thank you VCA Midwest Vet! For being and for being there for Puppy.
Puppy's gums were blue. Her temperature was dropping, and she was still unconscious. Kelly got an IV catheter placed in a matter of seconds, her Mom got her to the emergency hospital and we waited.
The first update was promising. Puppy was awake and taking oral medications.
That evening I called again. Puppy was eating! She was also being carried everywhere and properly spoiled. Her gastrointestinal system was stable, and her kidney and liver values were normal.
And then, over two days after her ordeal began, against all odds, Puppy went home.
She is home and well with no long term damage. Everything is once again as it should be.